Writing quality news stories is essential for news organizations. But to distribute these news stories successfully, they need additional information: metadata.
That is “information about information”; such as the topics and categories the article is about, and the people, places, and organizations mentioned At the same time, writers need to get more things done in a shorter amount of time. In the short run, this leads to frustrated and stressed writers producing lower-quality content. In the long run, readers will read less and cancel subscriptions.
Your ad sales will decrease, and in the worst cases, you will face employees quitting their job. So, it’s no surprise that when you ask writers what they think about the task of adding metadata to an article, they answer: It is time-consuming, boring, and complex.
They either do it badly—or don’t do it at all. This lack of metadata can have catastrophic results for your readers and, in the end, your whole organization.
The reasons why metadata is essential for online publishers
Articles without metadata tend to disappear, sometimes forever. Metadata helps you avoid this, and other issues, through:
- Discoverability; indexing articles help increase the visibility of content for search engines.
- Reader experience & page views: making it easier for readers to find and navigate on-site encourages them to read more news and become more loyal subscribers.
- Providing top-notch recommendations and creating topic pages.
- Creating a better experience for the reader/potential buyer: ad revenue increases when you match context from articles and ads.
- Brand safety for advertisers.
Every article without quality metadata is a loss for the publisher, writer, and reader.
The solution: AI in the newsroom
Most successful newsrooms have been utilizing the possibilities of AI for a long time, and the reasons are many;
- AI is perfect for speed, consistency, and accuracy, especially when analyzing text and creating metadata tags.
- AI automates specific time-consuming and repetitive workflows.
Why are you not auto-tagging your content properly?
However, utilizing AI in a responsible and value-creating way isn’t easy.
When asking decision-makers the question above, we get answers like this:
- It’s hard to find a customized service that delivers high quality over time and integrates it into our systems.
- Cost of ownership is too high.
- We are building our own system. In 99 cases out of 100, this ends up being a never-ending and costly project or doesn’t work as the organization wants it to.
- We lack internal resources or competence.
Is it hard to build a system that will provide quality and be sustainable over time?
No, you just need to have:
- A pragmatic and skilled team that can find and combine the latest research and models out there
- System experts who understand and can incorporate other tech solutions
- Advanced knowledge about taxonomies—because it will affect your whole organization! (If you want to learn more about taxonomies, click here)
- A lot of time, patience, and money.
Of course, most publishers don’t have either the time or resources to wait, or the ambition to build their own auto-tagging system. At iMatrics, however, we’ve done it for you.
Here are some of the many reasons our clients choose to work with us:
- Partnership: Understanding their organization, their readers and their taxonomy is crucial when customizing an AI solution.
- Quality: We will always ensure that we are best in class, at auto-tagging but also at product development based on metadata (based on our customers’ needs).
- Easy onboarding: No specific training data is needed. Just send us articles, and our models will begin to work for you.
- Integration: Our API integrates smoothly into your CMS, regardless of what system you are using.
Innovation: We love helping clients innovate their businesses by finding new and exciting ways of using metadata and AI in the newsroom. These include smart image suggestions and gender analysis.
Reach out via this link to set up a free 30-min call, and sort out your plans and ideas. After that, you will know more about the magic metadata can bring to your organization. And we’ll be ready to take the first step together.
Say goodbye to time-consuming and repetitive tasks and hello to increased discoverability, reader engagement, and ad revenue. Take the first step towards revolutionizing your newsroom by reaching out to us for a free 30-minute call. Let’s work together to bring magic to your organization.